Requested crash records for configuration testing
While we do our best to read databases correctly, we also request the hard copy police reports (or electronic images) to test the flow of information from the officer’s report; through converting and importing; and then the display of the crash on a diagram. This will help ensure we are interpreting the data correctly.
Please send scanned records via email in a pdf format. If those aren’t available, you may take screen shots of crashes and send those. We do not want or need any personal information from the report, so that can be blacked out or redacted by you. We’re looking for something that shows what the original police report fields indicate to test against. Please do not include personal information from those records.
When preparing to send us the reports for verification and testing, our experience has shown that a sampling with some variety is useful. We’ve developed a list of attributes from reports that will make our testing most meaningful. Please identify some reports that have:
- At least one injury or fatality crash
- At least one single-vehicle crash
- At least one multi-vehicle crash
- At least one crash at an intersection – distance is zero
- At least one mid-block or milepost crash – distance and direction have values
- At least one left-turn crash
- At least one rear-end crash
- At least one side swipe crash
- At least one pedestrian crash
- At least one bicycle crash
- At least one parked vehicle
- Example of any data elements that you feel are unique or need extra attention to describe your data