Colorado Form Changes at a glance
Colorado has adopted a new crash report form DR 3447. As agencies slowly move over to the new form, we will be updating Crash Magic with a new configuration to match.
This article is still in progress. It contains the information needed for making decisions, but we haven’t made our final recommendations for conversions yet. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs. Be sure to also look at Changes to state crash report form which describes the general issues around state form changes. What we know in regards to the data and the new form:
- Bikes and Pedestrians are handled differently on the new form and are now considered Non Motorists to be filled out on a separate page of DR3447. There is no longer a vehicle type of bicycle(#13) or a position of pedestrian(#15). The new form no longer has a field that collects data for the direction of travel for non motorists. (Crash Magic data entry has this field available if you wish to fill it in).
- DUI’s are treated differently. There is no longer a contributing factor value of DUI(#10), and the original Suspected Alcohol and Drug fields have been removed in order to utilize the original Alcohol and Drugs suspected fields (from the FARS page) instead. There is also a DUI indicator field for each individual vehicle.
- Injury Severity field values have been updated.
- Alley from the Road Description field is now #11 instead of #5. For more information regarding this, please see:
- Road Contour field is now split into 2 fields Road Contour and Road Grade.
- Removed the fields: Road Surface, RRxing, Bridge Related, Highway Interchange, Photos Taken, Public Property/Employee.
The source for the following images is a PDF file here: CO DR 3447 PDF
For some technical information please see: https://www.pdmagic.com/kb/colorado-form-changes-technical-info/
The highlighted fields indicate a change or an addition to the new form. The comments on the right indicate a possible database or configuration change. Those highlighted in red are especially important with possible data conversions necessary.