we can diagnose and remedy almost any (Intersection Magic – related) problems that you may experience. Thanks!
When attending a training, conference, or tackling a particularly tricky problem with your system, we will often ask you to send us your configuration and your database. This article describes how to package up that information.
This article describes how to prepare a folder on your hard disk and populate it with your configuration and data files.
Note: These steps must be taken on a computer where Intersection Magic is installed and functioning correctly. If you are using virtual locations contact Pd’ Programming to find out how to copy the virtual location data.
The steps below simply copy your configuration files and database to a temporary folder; zip that folder; and post the files to our web site. Please feel free to perform these steps in another manner if you prefer. The steps below are extremely detailed – please don’t be intimidated by the number of steps.
Create a new folder on your hard disk
- Using “My Computer”, navigate to your “C:” drive.
- From the main menu, select File / New folder
- A new folder will be created. It is called “New Folder” and is highlighted.
- Right click on the “New Folder” and select “rename”. Change the name of the folder to “AllMagic”.
- You now have a new folder called c:AllMagic where you can place files to send us.
Copy your configuration to the new folder
- Using “My Computer”, navigate to “C:Magic” or wherever you’ve installed Intersection Magic.
- Locate the program called CopyCfg and run it (double click).
- This program will search for all configurations on your hard disk and provide them to you in a list. It will indicate the name of the configuration, as well as the location on your hard disk. Identify and select your “current” configuration. (You should generally only have 2 configurations, “demo/tutorial” and your current configuration)
- After you’ve selected your configuration, press “next”.
- You will be prompted with a list of checkboxes, one for each configuration/report file found. Don’t check any of them, simply press “next”.
- At this point, you will be asked to insert a floppy or choose “other drives”. Please choose “other drives”.
- Select the new folder that you created at the beginning of this process. (you’ll need to double click on it, so that it is shown at the top of the list)
- Select Next.
- A dialog box will flash up quickly as the files are copied. You will then be presented with a confirmation that the files were copied. Select ok.
- Your configuration files and report files have been copied
Copy your database to the new folder
- For this step, you will need to start the Intersection Magic program as you normally do.
- From the Intersection Magic menu, choose Utilities / Database / Copy.
- You will be prompted for the database to copy from. This should already be set to your current database. Simply choose ok.
- You will be prompted for the location to save your database. (copy to) Navigate to your new folder, “c:AllMagic”.
- In the “File name” box, erase any existing content (i.e. ????acc.dat) and enter “cras”. Select ok.
- A dialog box will confirm that you’ve copied the database. Select Ok. This has not changed your existing installation at all.
Compress the folder to send
- At this point, we will compress (zip) all the files in the c:AllMagic directory into a single file. Use My Computer to navigate to “c:”. You should be able to see the AllMagic folder in that list.
- Right-click on the AllMagic folder. Choose “”Send to compressed (zipped) folder.
- Note: If you are prompted that “”For Compressed (zipped) Folders to handle ZIP files correctly….”” simply choose “”No””.
- A new file has been created in the “”c:”” directory called “”AllMagic.zip””.
Upload the AllMagic.zip file to the Pd Magic web site.
- Go to our web site www.pdmagic.com.
- Click on the Login link near the bottom left corner of the page.
- On the login screen enter your user name