I have created/updated my configuration files, how do I test the new configuration?
This article describes how you can test a new/updated configuration.
It is very important to test a configuration after it has been modified, and it is not always obvious how to do that. There are steps that you can take to test how Intersection Magic interacts with your data. You can also take advantage of the enhanced lookup validation feature that was introduced in version 6.604. In addition to compiling your lookups, the program will now check the file for such issues as ambiguous values in the lookup table, spelling of fields and values across the files, if the file format matches the standard, and such. In case the program finds an issue like that during the compilation process, the compile will halt and you will be notified.
- Obtain at least five hard copies of collision reports according to the list at the bottom of Hard copy request page
- Go to Utilities/Configuration/Default Settings. Click on Sys settings button, then check Lookup validation check box, and click OK. With lookup validation set, open and save every file listed under Utilities/Customize menu. If any error messages appear, fix the issue and try saving that file again. The program will only tell you about one issue at a time.
- Make sure the draw data file (*.drd) has direction from intersection specified. Compare all the values with the lookup table.
- Make sure your object table file (*.tbs) has a symbol attached to every value in vehicle movement/action field in the lookup table.
- Set configuration default file names to the files you would like to test. Create a new database and import at least two years worth of data (including the records from step 1) into the database.
- Check all of the log files that were created during the import process. Keep in mind that if you are using partial importing (e.g. import crash table first, then occupants and vehicles), your error log will be filled with supplementing data entries. You will need to look through the file to locate any other errors.
- Press F5. Look for any missing files. Compare the number of streets with the number of records. Check the date range.
- Run a high accident locations report with a filter on a custom field.
- Create a diagram by clicking on New. Click on one of the collision graphics.
- Show a diagram with at least one collision where both vehicles are departing the intersection.
- Print a diagram key and make sure it’s consistent and makes sense. Verify symbols used to indicate erratic and out of control movement.
- Compare all fields on every collision report in IMW with the paper copies you have from step 1.